When you want to keep the car maintenance and its most ideal performance, knowing about color coded wiring fuel pump wires color codes is also important. While this topic sounds more or a technical one, in this article you will find the information in an easy way.
The fuel pump in the car is one of the major components that not only works continuously for the vehicle to move but it is also liable to be in its perfect working state. The reason is contamination of the fuel impacts the fuel pump and it results in malfunctioning and the engine may stall if not repaired timely.
At times, you have to repair the fuel pump if the issue is not able to be repaired. BUT, you cannot replace it if you don’t know anything about the fuel pump or the electrical connectors.
Knowing about the pump wires color codes helps you to opt for the right wiring harness connection. If you don’t know about wiring and color code, you may end you causing major damage the car engine.
Let’s find out about the color coded wiring on the fuel pump and what it does.
Why Is the Fuel Pump Wire Code Important?
Fuel pump has wire codes and it’s important to know about these codes especially when you want to replace it such as when the engine is knocking. When electrical issues occur, make sure you know about the wrings.
The fuel pump as four types of wires
1. Black wire/ pink wire is a grounded wire
2. Yellow-and-white wire is for fuel-level communication
3. Gray or orange wire is the power cable for the fuel pump
4. A dark blue wire is for notifying warnings when the fuel level is low or having some kind of issue
What do these wires do?
After turning on the car the fuel gauge wire is at 5V current. Here is what these wires do.
- In Ford and GM cars, the gray and orange color wires are for fuel pump
- The black wire (with a white stripe) is the ground wire
- Black, in some vehicle orange, wire is for mainly ignition or starting
- The yellow wire with a white strip or purple is the fuel gauge / fuel level wire
GM Fuel Pump Wires Color Codes and what do they mean?
Getting confused in the wire color code is a sure way to damage the vehicle or whatever machinery you are operating. Therefore, knowing the meaning of the color code of the wiring is nothing but a safety measure. The GM fuel pump wire color codes are important when you are reaping the GM truck fuel pump.
You may require a multimeter if the color code of the wiring harness on the car and the fuel pump wire don’t match. The multimeter will insanely tell you about which wires are grounded and which are powered.
So, the GM fuel pump wire color codes are as follow:
- Gray is the power from your fuel pump relay when its turn on
- The black and white striped wire is for grounding connection on fuel pump
- The purple wire on the GM fuel pump module is for power signal to the fuel level unit
- The black wire (with no strips) is a ground connection for the fuel level sending unit
|GM Fuel Pump Wires’ Color Codes|
|Gray wire||Power to the fuel pump from your fuel pump relay when in start mode|
|Black and white stripe wire||Ground connection to your fuel pump|
|Purple Wire||Power signal to the fuel level sending unit|
|Black wire||Ground connection for the fuel level sending unit.|
What will happen if The Fuel Pump Relay Goes Wrong?
If you do wrong wiring on the fuel pump relay the engine will stall. The sudden stalling of the engine means there is something wrong in the writing that cuts off the electricity supply to the fuel pump.
This is because the fuel pump will no longer pump the fuel into the engine. During replacement of the fuel pump on the GM vehicle the fuel pump won’t get the power.