This is a serious topic that many car buyers seem to be confused about. Whenever you are up for a purchase for something big, its payment becomes the highlight that you should be concerned about. In this article we shall talk about is it suspicious to buy a car with cash or it’s just a myth?
Topically, buying a car with cash is not suspicious by itself. However, if you pay in currency it somehow increases the chances of something being fishy with some dealerships.
The reason is the tech use. In 2023, the use of electronic payments systems is more common than that of such large payments otherwise. Let’s now find more about it.
Table of Contents
Buying car with cash
Although buying a car with cash is not itself suspicious, however, there are many instances where when you buy the car with cash it becomes difficult to trace out the money. Whereas when you buy the vehicle using credit or debit cards tracing becomes easy.
Having said that, larger cash transactions are often used for many illegal activities which puts the cash with car buying somehow in a gray area.
Another reason why cash with cars is suspicious is the fuss. For example, the car dealerships have to deal with lots of money in their office from counting while there are other people around. This makes the trust and right counting of money difficult to tackle. Therefore car purchase with money is not a suggested move.
Why is it suspicious to buy a car with cash?
There are several factors that make this activity suspicious. While buying the car is not itself is an illegal activity, there are situation that make it that easy for example:
- The risk facer of fake money gets higher
- It is hard to count money
- Money laundering risks
Car buying with cash
Everything has its own flip sides so is the car buying. As you know, a car is considered as a valuable asset that you should always buy and sell by making things authentic. Here are a few pros and cons of buying a car with cash.
- No need for approval and financial agreement
- No interest and other hidden charges (unless it has transfer fee)
- There won’t be any debt. You will own the vehicle right as you pay
- Loss of emergency funds
- You don’t get the investment opportunities
- Minimal chances to bargain the deal with the seller
Why do car dealerships don’t allow Debit or Card?
Car dealerships have the reason for not accepting electronic payments such as debt and cars. This is because they electronic payment has a
- You can have certain number of transaction on per day, each card
- Refund policy on car payment
- Trans waiting for the payment can be long (p to 60 or 90 days)
- Transaction fee
Here is how to mark yourself safe when Buying/Selling a Car for the Cash
- Keep copies of documents for reference
- Keep copy of bank statement and the copy of date when you receive the payment for the car
- Meet the car buyer in public areas.
- When you receive the payment, make sure to deposit it in bank
- When the seller wants a test drive, one of your friends or family members should join the ride.
- Keep the copy and record of transactions.
- Make sure the car conditions for scratches, lines etc.
- Take time to properly check the car condition and performance, accidents history, damage, repair. Make sure everything is right before you sign the sale agreement
What to do when buying the car with cash?
If you are buying the car with cash, knowing some tips can save you from any fraud or something being fishy about payment.
Deal with notable dealer
This does not mean to find a dealer who deals with expensive clients only. You should find a dealer who is reputed to be a car dealership. The reputed car dealer will also guide you for the process and offer a fair deal. You should ask around, find out the location and research about who is a good car dealer in your area.
Secure the payment record
Keeping the payment record as evidence is also important when you are buying a car with cash. This is an important step that you should not miss out on. Keep the car title, VIN, odometer reading, date of purchase, secure etc. The payment record helps to prove that the vehicle actually belongs to you and you had made a purchase.
Bargain the deal
Bargain and negotiating is an art. For car purchase make a fair negotiating and mean I am effective as you can. Using phrases such as like ‘I’m sure we can come to some sort of agreement’, ‘We can work something out’ or ‘let me look into it’ is a good idea.
As of 2023, making a car purchase with cash has a lot of risks involved. For instance, electronic transactions are becoming more and more accepted and preferable than that of cash in a physical approach. That has a lot to do with the car dealership trust
Many car dealerships say it is safe to accept up to $10000 in cash, after that opt for electronic transactions. However, every dealership has its set of rules and it also depends which region you are in. In this article we shed light on the flip side of cars with cash and vice versa. Hopefully that has been insightful!